Orc In A Spacesuit on 17 Mar 2003 21:23:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Unanimous bonus

From: Luk Vandelaer <luk.vandelaer@xxxxxxx>
I propose

{{
__Unanimous Yes__
When all the votes say
"Yes", the proposals author
has his earned points doubled.
}}

proposals -> proposal's
has his points earned -> has points earned

In regard to syllables, it's currently:
1   2   3      4      5     6
has his earned points dou - bled

Next, regarding poetic feet, it has to do with what syllables are stressed. Like you might have STRESSED unstressed unstressed STRESSED unstressed unstressed as your stress pattern.

If you don't know what I mean by stressed, I this: Each word has a single syllable that is emphasised, that is said heaverier, louder, and/or longer. That's the stressed one. An example would be the word proposal -- the "po" part is stressed, it's said proPOsal. Some dictionaries will write stresses that way, with capital letters indicating stressed syllables. I will say this, though: Not being a native speaker may present some difficulties, because rules regarding this are even looser than pronounciation and spelling rules. Stressed syllables often times will vary by speaker or accent, and although you often can change the stresses however you want (although you will sound silly if you do), sometimes it will matter, like PREsent is "I will present you to the Queen" and preSENT is "I will give you a present on your birthday."

However, I'm not sure I can support the idea of the prop. While this does seem like a good idea, whether or not something is unanimous has little to do with how popular, constructive, bug-free, or even sensible a prop is. If nothing else, people sometimes vote against props believed to be shoe-ins for the 1-point bonus; I used to do it in the past, but have given it up for now, preferring to shelve something unless I am against the very premise.

In this case, a saving grace might be if people could vote "YES PLUS" or something like that, and if everyone votes "YES PLUS", or even 3/4 or half the people do, then points are doubled. The only thing is, this would require extra work, many people wouldn't bother, and we already have some systems in place for reacting to different kinds of props and actions, which are more free-form (just giving points to people, respect props, and other various beneificial things in game).

Cool idea, but it brings a lot of baggage.

--
Orc in a Spacesuit