David E. Smith on 27 Feb 2003 01:19:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Now presenting... the ruleset.

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, bd wrote:

> Ouch. Could you move the Layers to the main rule? You could use a simple query
> to convert the data. Something like:
> UPDATE nomicrules SET layer = 1 WHERE attribs.rulenum = nomicrules.rulenum AND
> attribs.tinytext = "Layer 1" FROM attribs;

I could, but that would bloat the database (since most things in the
nomicrules table are not in fact rules). And it would require me to make
little piddly changes in about a dozen Web-based forms that I use to
maintain the ruleset and proposals and other such things and that would
seriously annoy me. :-)

At some point, I oughta try to change the 'attribs' table into a generic
'rule-priority' table, which is just keyed to rulenum, an enum
('chutzpah,layer'), and a value. At least that would be a little easier to
search through (and it'd be a separate table, so I wouldn't have to
rewrite as many forms to implement it).

This is, of course, in the copious free time (a myth).

...dave