Rob Speer on 23 Feb 2003 09:15:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 34 RESULTS and Daily Recognizer

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 01:36:24PM -0500, bd wrote:
> > This is just plain scary. I hope this isn't another Pooker... (woe be to
> > those who remember and understand that reference)
>
> I don't - tell me so I can be... woed. Or somethign.

Nobody but Dave and I would remember, since it happened on A Nomic. It's
how I won.

I created a poker-like game played with cards, where the cards were
objects you could acquire. If you owned cards that formed a certain
poker hand, you could claim points for it. This game was called
"Pooker", and I forget why I called it that.

It came down to a matter of definitions. The dealer owned the Deck. The
Deck consisted of all the cards not owned by anyone else. I planned it that
way. So I looked through my "hand" (the deck) and put down 1000 points
worth of poker hands.

I assure you there's no malicious intent in this rule. In this game,
I've never created a rule with ulterior motives (I have come close to
abusing some _other_ people's rules, though). Plus, if this rule goes
wrong, the worst that can happen is that someone has over 1000 points
and doesn't immediately win.

But I don't even see how it could go that wrong. The way it works right
now, even if the system was stuck somehow so that 27-triggers weren't
happening all the time, someone could just post the action "I do
nothing." which would be 27-independent, and it would not cause a damn
thing, so it would be a 27-trigger.
--
Rob Speer