Rob Speer on 29 Jan 2003 08:53:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Enforce the Speed Limit... using recursion

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:23:15PM -0500, Wonko wrote:
> Or am I missing something here?

Well, it contradicts a bunch of rules saying that players gain a certain
number of points. So it'd have to go in a higher layer than all those
rules.

I suppose I _could_ put it in a higher layer. And then some other rule
will have to go in a higher layer than this, because in the big picture
the Speed Limit rule isn't all that important, and layers defeat
explicit precedence, which was a rather useful thing.

Layers suck, BTW. If I had bothered to vote, I would have voted against
them, and of course I would have been a minority of one because everyone
else thinks layers are the greatest thing since bread. (A stronger
statement than "the greatest thing since sliced bread", that is.) The
problem is that there isn't necessarily a well-ordering on how important
rules are, as rules can take precedence for a variety of reasons.

But getting back on the topic, there probably was a simpler way to do
that. I may not fix it, but I will at least acknowledge it, in my next
proposal...

--
Rob Speer