Wonko on 11 Dec 2002 21:26:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] random comments on the ballot

Quoth David E. Smith,

>> Proposal 1241/1: Standard Abuses (Wonko)
>
> This makes no sense! Tell the people!

How so?

>> Proposal 1250/0: Let's get them working right (Orc In a Spacesuit)
>
> not again...
>
> Just based on how many total revisions there have been, the Societies rule
> is starting to rival the Grid rule for inhuman complexity.

It seems to me that most of what people want out of societies could be
accomplished if we gave people the power to give bandwidth to each other; we
could then, through Offers, set up 'pooled' proposals, a sort of "I agree to
give Fred Foobar 1 unit of bandwidth; e agrees to propose something with it
and give me half of the points e gains from it."

>> Proposal 1253/0: Well, at least it's not another SOE... (The Administrator)
>
> If passed, I intend to implement, and will probably be CFI'd for it. Ask
> if I care.

Things would be so much easier if Glotmorf would just REPEAL THE STUPID
RULE!

>> Proposal 1255/2: Repeal Slowly and See (Anything McGee)
>
> Ooh, another prop I'll have to count manually because it has lots and lots
> of parts! :-)
>
> For the most part, aside from part 6, I like. It cleans out goofy cruft
> that is rarely used.

>> Proposal 1256/0: ...Or Would You Rather Be a Cogno-Intellectual? (Glotmorf)
>> Proposal 1261/0: ...Or Would You Rather Be a Benevolent Activist? (Orc
>> In a Spacesuit)
>
> Should Philosophical Mandates be numbered objects, or just little blobs of
> text on their own page? (I'm leaning toward the latter.)

Blobs of text. It's faster, easier, and means a Minister of Philosophy
wouldn't need database access priveleges.

>> Proposal 1257/0: Reminders: Nomvivor (bd)
>
> oh, by the way, if you're eligible, vote for Nomvivor.
>
> Or don't. It's on the list of things that I wouldn't necessarily mind
> seeing repealed. There's only been two or three real votes by real humans
> in the last, um, however long it's been since the damn thing started.

The bit about getting kicked off when you go On Leave I think was a bad
idea. I had to go On Leave for a few days back when Nomvivor first came out;
I've remembered about voting fairly regularly since, but I couldn't do
anything about it.

>> Proposal 1259/0: Executive Aids (Wonko)
>
> Nice idea, but it'll only really work if players occasionally agree to act
> as Deputies. Given this game's history, and occasional lack of civil
> service on the part of many players, this might just be more dead weight.

I wouldn't mind doing some civil service, but I'm sure I won't always have
time to manage multiple ministries. The idea here was that players could
become temporary Ministers while they had time, without being obligated to
continue when time runs out. I'd be glad to be a Deputy; I'm afraid of the
commitment inherent in becoming a new Minister.

And, if a player becomes a Dep., and still has copious free time, e can
propose to Ministerialize eir duties (or run for the position if the
Ministry already exists).

--
Wonko