Orc In A Spacesuit on 17 Nov 2002 02:22:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] a different society fix

Wonko's brought up some valid points about how the rule Societies is written now. I don't think that his prop is the best fix, however. I can't propose without bandwidth, but I can put this on -discuss, so you all can think about it. So here it is:

I don't propose the following:
{{__Polishing up Societies__
In the rule __Societies__:

Change the sentence "A Society is a group of one or more entities who are Members of the Society."
"A Society is a group of zero or more entities. These entities are the Members of the Society."
[[This allows for 0-member societies, as specified by the rules]]

Change the sentence "Actions in this rule are not the only actions that societies may take."
"Societies may only take actions explictly permitted em in the rules."

Change the sentence "Players may transfer a positive amount of eir Bandwidth to any Society that is not a Corporation."
"Players may transfer a positive amount of eir Bandwidth to any Society that is not a Corporation, provided that the Player's Bandwidth remains positive."

Change the sentence "In this rule, all Dimensions are Properties, and Points and Entropy, if they are not Dimensions, are Properties too."
"In this rule, all Dimensions are Properties, and Points, BNS and Entropy, if they are not Dimensions, are Properties too."

Change the senctence "Once per nweek, a Player may create a Society, giving it a uniquely identifying name."
"Each Player may, once per nweek, create a Society, at which time e must give it a uniquely identifying name. The given name must not misrepresent the gamestate or attempt to do so; if it does, the Administrator may Rectify it and all references to it."

[[That way, the society is still made, and still works, even if it's a bad name. And Rectification rules still apply. Plus the main problem's fixed.]]

Change the sentence "Unless e specifies otherwise, the creator of a society becomes a member of that Society upon its creation."
"If e chooses, the creator of a Society may declare emself to be a member upon creation, in which case is is the only member upon creation; otherwise, the society has no members upon creation."

Give one third, rounded up, of the point gained as result of this proposal passing to Wonko.
}}

That should do it. I've also considered, either as a part of that or seperately, the follwoing:
{{
Replace all instances of the word "Property" (case insensitive) with the word "ExchNums".
}}
Or some other unique word.

Of course, this whole thing is rendered moot if Wonko's prop passes, in which case we'll have a different set of things to change. But here it is, tell we what you think of the prop and that other thing at the end.

Orc In A Spacesuit