Orc In A Spacesuit on 7 Nov 2002 19:26:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Off Leave

From: "Baron von Skippy" <baronvonskippy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Wow, B Nomic has individual rules that are more than twice the length of the
entire ruleset of the face to face game I'm involved in. That's either
really impressive, really scary, or both.
-Wow. How do you manage to have such a /tiny/ ruleset? Did you just start, or do you have a rule: "Rules may not be greater than 25 words in length?"-

> I just can't escape the feeling that this is not what "Less Is More" was
> really intended to do.

As far as I can tell, 'Less is More' was intended to simulate the Keywords
system, but not to do it as well as the keyword system does...
-Blasphemy! We just need bigger LiM rules!-

Actually, what we need to do is have the LiM props actually do more; what I mean is, instead of just taking several rules and squeezing them together, we need to analyze the intended function(s) of a group of rules, and figure out how do better do that system. A lot of LiM seems to be in response to simple concepts that kept getting expanded, with little long-term planning involved. It kinda reminds me of some European cities... The city started out small, with streets wide enough for carriges, and kept growing, with people putting up buildings wherever it didn't disrupt traffic at the moment. However, this doesn't help with throughfares, and later cars are introduced, making getting around a nightmare. In one particular city (can't remember which), the ruler of the city at one point ordered the destruction of entire areas of the city -- neighborhoods and more torn down -- and rebuilt, with wide, streamlined roads. Afterwards, things worked much better for the city, which still flourishes today.

Orc In A Spacesuit
has been planning a massive rebuilding for quite some time.