Orc In A Spacesuit on 22 Oct 2002 02:57:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] societies and corporations discussion

I already kinda responded and apoligized for any lack of clarity on my part, but I'll respond to what BvS brings up:
From: "Baron von Skippy" <baronvonskippy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
-This I agree with, this I have said. Orc, giving us the URL, even though I'm not likely to visit it, was a good idea.

Thanks. I have no problem with you not visiting. I need to go through it all once more to make sure it will make sense to others; I just put that up for the brave and/or impatient souls that want to see what I'm doing.

However, propose the damn thing already. You don't win any favor by trying to get us to hold up for a bit. If you need more time, declare a SOE and take a few days where you don't need to do anything else for this game.

I'm not trying to hold people off. The reason I am taking so long is that I am tryting to make everything right, and with the "most convulted nomic ever", that's a challenge. I want to get it right. As for SOE, other game actions take almost nothing compared to the time I've spent on the uber. I've spent many an all-nighter just on it.

Past that, there's nothing to do to help you. It sounds like you're looking for a Theory of Everything to bind the parts of B Nomic under one law, but I'm afraid it doesn't exist.

No way. That's not what I'm doing. I'm creating 4 rules, none of which is large, and one is pretty much a redefining of Dimensions, and I'm then repealing lots of now-redundant/useless rules, and modifying lots of others to make them shorter, clearer, more streamlined, less ambiguous, less buggy, and more flexible, so that the first change that comes along won't break it all. The flexibility is one thing I've rewritten major parts for; I'm not doing this to better things now, but to better them in the future.

One thing of note is that a lot of current rules, especially those dealing with basic things like proposals and voting and such, remain either completly unchanged or just tweaked with new wording. The core of the game is left mostly unchanged, as it works.

It's hard enough to make up proposals to modify one rule or idea at a time with this game so mutable, but such is the way of things. Why don't you propose the uber in bits?

Simply because if I make one change to one rule, it affects other rules, which affect other rules... just about ever CFI I've seen and almost every exploit is a result of these changes with unwanted effects.

Would you believe that what is now the uber-prop was originally going to be my first proposal, and wasn't going to be that long? I just kept seeing how my fixes would affect other rules, and fixing them caused more problems, until it spiraled into a lot of the ruleset.

I mean, unless you're making it a prose haiku or something, your hours of work amount to 3d6 points, and it still might fail.

I don't see it as 3d6 points. I see it as a very big streamlining and debugging of the entire game, for now and the future. And as for failure: the reason I am taking so long is because I want it to be so good that no one can find fault in it, other than just getting used to a more streamlined way of doing things, and dealing with change.

Sorry, this was only supposed to be about two sentencs when I began, so it's probably a little confused... but then again, what's new with me?-

No apology necessary. You voiced valid concerns, and now we are on the way to resolving them. That's good.

Orc In A Spacesuit