David E. Smith on 11 Oct 2002 17:06:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] brief interlude: my logic on society membership

There are, at least IMO, more than a few rules that are relevant to my
perspective:

* 150: "No player's information may be changed except as the rules
explicitly allow." I think that membership in a Society falls under that
category.

* 152: "Changes to the state of the game may only be made via a Proposal
or via an Action which is permitted by the Rules." Unless there's a rule
that permits you to force others into your society, it doesn't happen.

* 578.D. "Membership in a Society is voluntary. An entity is not required
to become a Member of a Society, and may refuse membership if offered or
declared by the Society by stating said refusal on a public forum."
Seems relatively clear to me -- for most of the alleged societies created
so far this nweek, there have been numerous, blatant, public refusals. I'd
even go so far as to say that, unless an offer is explicitly accepted, it
is implicitly refused. (That last phrase might be a lovely addition to the
Societies rule, by the way...)

Obviously, either a couple well-worded CFIs or the increasingly-inevitable
third SOE could take care of the perceived ambiguity. But until one of
those comes along, I'm sticking with my interpretation.

...dave

--
David E. Smith   dave@[technopagan.org|metadave.net|bureau42.com]
I'm a white male loser -- the profile of the serial killer (RSPW)