Daniel Lepage on 9 Oct 2002 02:51:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] A little bit o' cash

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 10/8/02 at 7:26 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> If y'all haven't been convinced to deactivate the Stock Market, this
>> should
>> do the trick...
>>

>> I Go Public, issuing 11 shares of Stock in myself, none of which are
>> available for purchase.
>>
>> I give one Share to the Bank.
>>
>> I borrow 6 points from Luigi.
>>
>> Here's what happens:
>>
>> Because I have outstanding shares, and I just gained six points, 2 BNS is
>> transferred from me to my Dividend Fund.
>>
>> Because the amount in my Dividend Fund is more than 1/10 of the number of
>> shares I own, 1 BNS is paid to me for every 10 shares I control.
>>
>> Because rule 946 fails to mention where these BNS are paid to me from, and
>> r21 states that if rule states BNS is paid to someone without specifying
>> the
>> source, it comes from the bank, the 1 BNS I am paid is given to me by the
>> Bank.
>
> Tsk.  The second paragraph of r945.C.2.3 reads, "If the number of shillings in
> a player's dividend fund is greater than 1/10 of the shares of the player's
> stock, one shilling is paid to each entity (including the Bank) for every ten
> shares of the player's stock that that entity owns. If the owning entity is
> incapable of possessing shillings, the shillings are instead paid to the
> Bank."
>
> The context of shillings in the first part of the first sentence suggests the
> context of shillings for the second part of the same sentence.  The second
> sentence reinforces this by saying shillings are paid to the Bank.  Why would
> shillings be paid from the Bank to the Bank?
>
> Do I really have to CFI this?  The CFI rule talks about "spirit of the game".
> While I admit the game is bloodthirsty, I believe the spirit of the game
> doesn't include reading different parts of the same sentence out of context of
> each other.

And I believe the spirit of the game doesn't include adding things to rules
that aren't in them. The Bank rule is pretty clear - if you don't *specify*
a donor, the BNS comes from the Bank. Perhaps you endeavored to *imply* a
donor, but an *implied* thing is most definitely not a *specified* thing.
And I don't see the Dividend fund as being the implied donor anyway - there
are plenty of places where it says, "if A is true, a player is given B", and
where we DON'T assume that B must come from an object mentioned in A. On
what grounds do you claim this to be an exception?

--
Wonko