Wonko on 3 Oct 2002 23:33:23 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Cleanup on Aisle 1073!

Quoth Glotmorf,

> {{ _Cleanup on Aisle 1073!_
>
> [[ Okay...there are various problems with r1073, as demonstrated by my current
> ownership of WBE.  About half of it is redundant, and some of it is illegal.
> Taking it piece by piece:
>
> "There exists a Society called Weathy Bastard Enterprises, or WBE."
>
> Redundant, and potentially in conflict with r578.H, which says a society goes
> away if all its members leave.  Granted, there are other rules that depend on
> the existence of WBE, but if it should go away in its current form, the odds
> are some other asshole will create a new WBE.

True, I should have phrased that better.

> "WBE has a Resource Pool of BNS."
>
> In the charter, and insufficient.  The society will need a Raw Materials pool
> too.

This IS the charter. Raw Materials didn't exist when I made this; don't
blame me for your mistakes.

> "WBE has a number associated with it called its Raw Materials."
>
> In violation of Rule 2 (uniquely identifying names) in combination with Rule
> 21 (which defines Raw Materials).  Instead the society should have a Raw
> Materials pool declared in its charter.

If anything's a violation of naming, it's the modification of rule 21 to
create new objects using an already taken name. Mine came first, remember?

> "There exist passable SO's called Wealthy Bastard Service Garages. A player
> who is on a Service Garage or in a square consecutive to a Service Garage may
> give Carryable Objects in eir possession to WBE. When this happens, the object
> is destroyed, and the Raw Materials increases by a certain amount."
>
> Needs to be "and WBE's Raw Materials increases".  "The" raw materials,
> according to r21, is infinite in quantity.

Well, that's your fault, isn't it, now? I voted against that prop.

> "Only the following types of Grid Objects may be given to WBE, and they
> increase the Raw Materials by the amount following them:
>
> Beer Cans 10
> Balls of Wax 10
> Towels 10
> Piles of Kindling 15
> Big Sticks 20
> Athames 20
> Small Lumps 30
> Sledge-O-Matics 40
> Shields 50
> Large Lumps 70"
>
> When I came up with the Technologies idea, it was for taking proprietary
> things like this away from the Wealthy Bastards, at least enough that they can
> be copied.  Now that I are one, I still intend to do this; each of these will
> probably be a separate Technology, called Beer Can Recycling, Towel Recycling,
> etc.  For now, at least, they'll stay here.

When I finish the Corporation proposal, I'll probably include something that
turns this into something more Corporation-compatible. Right now, though,
this is the most efficient way to do this.

> "One member of WBE is said to be the Wealthy Bastard, or Boss. All other
> members may be refferred to as Employees. At the beginning of each nweek, 55
> BNS is transferred from WBE to the Boss of WBE, and 11 BNS is transferred from
> WBE to each Employee of WBE. The Wealthy Bastard may change either of these
> two salaries by declaring so in a public forum."
>
> Redundant, covered in charter.  And probably should have been worded so that
> the rule is automatically updated.

This IS the charter. Though I admit that updating the rule would have been a
good idea.

> "Non-employee players may join WBE if they request to join, and the Boss
> declares that they may join."
>
> Redundant, covered in charter.

This IS the charter.

> "The Boss may oust any employee from WBE at will."
>
> Redundant, covered in charter.

This IS the charter.

> "If at any time WBE has no Boss, the employee who has been an employee the
> longest becomes the Boss."
>
> Redundant, covered in charter.

This IS the charter.

> "The Ministry of WBE is a Ministry. The Ministry of WBE may only be held by
> the Boss of WBE. The Minister of WBE is responsible for keeping track of WBE's
> finances, salaries, and raw materials."
>
> In conflict with Rule 625.B.2, which says a Minister can be stripped of eir
> ministry.  Besides, I think this would be better handled by the Accounting
> Minister we've been discussing for Wonko's Corporations.  If anyone's
> interested in the doings of WBE, I'll be happy to report them...though they
> won't be much until I get the Raw Materials pool created.

This also could have been worded slightyl better. But you don't have to
report them - you're not the Bastard.

> So...the new Rule 1073:
>
> ]]
>
> Replace the text of Rule 1073 with the following:
>
> There exist passable SO's called Wealthy Bastard Service Garages. A player who
> is on a Service Garage or in a square consecutive to a Service Garage may give
> Carryable Objects in eir possession to WBE. When this happens, the object is
> destroyed, and WBE's Raw Materials pool increases by a certain amount.
>
> Only the following types of Grid Objects may be given to WBE, and they
> increase WBE's Raw Materials pool by the amount following them:
>
> Beer Cans 10
> Balls of Wax 10
> Towels 10
> Piles of Kindling 15
> Big Sticks 20
> Athames 20
> Small Lumps 30
> Sledge-O-Matics 40
> Shields 50
> Large Lumps 70
>
> }}

Then you're destroying WBE, as you're taking away most of its charter.

This gets a NO vote from me.

--
Wonko