Glotmorf on 3 Oct 2002 23:04:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] What are gnomes?

On 10/3/02 at 11:53 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>I have a question:  What exactly are Gnomes, in this game?
>Are they supposed to be inanimate objects?
>Little guys with different properties?
>Machines?
>Animals?
>Dolls?
>
>I need to know, as what they are will affect Life Core design, and I may
>be
>doing a revision of the Gnome rules (mostly shortening things and
>standardizing some stuff).

They were originally supposed to be an alternative to gremlins as things with unique properties that could be thrown at other people on the grid.  Various people (I among them) tried to come up with ways of having multiple gremlins of a given type, with means for creating and destroying them; Wonko's feeling was that gremlins had their own purpose, which replication would complicate, so e invented destructible, reproducible gnomes.

I think of them as a cross between fruit and lawn statuary.

>Oh, and about Technologies: I think that what I did was too structured;
>had
>too much overhead.  It actually had a lot of flexibility, but was just to
>complicated for it's own good.  Anyway, my thoughts are, a technology is
>Machines + Knowledge, so somebody (maybe me) ought to do something with
>that.  I think that Workshops or Factories with Machines are things that
>should be necessary for, say, creating airspeeders.

As in, tooling up for a technology?  Maybe.  I'd think the real cost basis for getting the technology is R&D, whatever form it took: actual research, reverse engineering, theft.  But that's just me.

Are you saying certain tools might make research into related technology easier?  If we turn this into Invention Lab: the Roleplaying Game, it's gonna get complicated...

						Glotmorf