Wonko on 2 Oct 2002 22:37:06 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Guys aren't eirs!

Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,

> Append to Rule 7, __Spivak Pronouns__, the following:
> {{
> Spivak pronouns are to be used in any case where the gender of the referred
> object is unknown, but if a pronoun referres to a specific object whose
> gender is known, explictly stated in the game, and unlikely to change, the
> appropriate non-Spivak versions may be used, if the writer so wishes.  (This
> still allows full use of Spivak, if desired).  If any non-Spivak pronoun
> becomes unclear due to changes in game state, the conversion of that pronoun
> to a Spivak version is within the powers of grammar correction of the Admin.
> }}

You might want to specify that the gender in question is the Game-Gender,
'cause that's not always the same as the biological gender. For example,
Miss Scoff was, I believe, male in real life, and female in the game. And I
assure you that I'm not really neuter.

I will confess, though, that I do use Spivak far too often - I've started
proofreading papers I write and finding 'e' and 'eir' at random throughout.

--
Wonko