Baron von Skippy on 19 Sep 2002 02:01:13 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Bnomic-private] Proposal: Speeder Upgrades

>>> {{
>>> __Improving Speeders__
>>>
>>> Create the following rule:
>>> {{
>>> __Wealthy Bastard Speeder Upgrades__ {*(WBE,Speeder,Grid),2*}

One thing in particular, before we get much further. I know it'll take a substantial rewording, but...I'd like to see all these upgrades be things in the rules in general, and not tied to a particular person or group. Say, for example, that such-and-such an upgrade is available for speeders, and would cost X resource units for a given entity to produce and install. Then have a provision that any entity that has paid some up-front capitalization cost (including a society that has written it into its charter) and that has gotten the resource units from somewhere can produce said upgrades.

If you then want to try to make WBE be the only entity that can salvage grid objects to produce resource units, that's a separate issue. Maybe vSOI would somehow combine gnomes to produce resource units. Maybe M-Tek Manufacturing (a division of M-Tek Industries) could get resource units some other way, including buying them from some entity that has the means to produce them.
-That's why I'm doing lands. vSOI profits from private ownership of mines... hmm... what if Societies could own lands? Purchased with club funds and with the resulting resources funneled back into the club? There'd have to be a limit, though. I'll give it thought, does anyone else see a possibility in this? It would allow the less-fortunate society members to et some of the big profits of the point-enhanced members to kick-start their own empires.-

Is this realistic? In today's world of corporate espionage, trade secret laws and reverse-engineering labs, I daresay it is. And since we've seen what the Baron thinks of trade secret practices, I'd say some technologies wouldn't stay secret for too long.
-I think secret trade practices are fine, until they're used against me, at which point I fully intend to hypocritically put a cap in the ass of the offender.-

>>> A.2 Returns
>>>
>>> If a player has an Airspeeder that is Upgraded, and that upgrade is
>>> reversable, then e may Reverse the Upgrade. When a player reverses an
>>> Upgrade, BNS equal to 2/3 (rounded down) of the price of that upgrade is
>>> transferred from WBE to that player, unless this is more BNS than WBE
>has,
>>> in which case all of WBE's BNS is transferred instead. [[Note that this
>>> means you get no money if you return an upgrade when WBE is bankrupt]]
>>> Additionally, when an Upgrade is reversed, 9/10 of it's resource cost,
>>> rounded up, is added to the Raw Materials, and the Upgrade Space of the
>>> Airspeeder which had the Upgrade increases by the Size of the Upgrade.
>>
>> This should involve a warranty period, during which funds are
>> frozen/escrowed/held in reserve; otherwise, since shillings are
>automatically
>> disbursed, the chances of there being any money back from returns is
>slim to
>> none.
>
>Wording suggestions?

Working on it. What would you, as a manufacturer of speeder upgrades, consider a reasonable amount of time to have to wait for assets to be unfrozen?

>> What about heights?  What if a speeder starts out in a square with deep
>depth?
>> Does it plow into the side of a high-depth square?
>
>Squares don't have 'height', just 'depth'. Right now, there's a restriction
>on moving to a square who's depth is 4 or more less than your current
>location's depth. With Boosters, you're able to boost up to the top of such >squares, ignoring the depth consideration. It may be better to increase the
>price of this... If we ever start doing anything with Depth, this'll be a
>very good upgrade.

Okay, let's say we were going to turn depth into a relative measurement, like units above/below sea level. Where would you set sea level at this time? At a square that has a depth of zero?

						Glotmorf

                                                  [[BvS]]