Wonko on 18 Sep 2002 03:41:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Bnomic-private] Proposal: Jail

Quoth Wonko,

> Quoth Glotmorf,
>
>> On 9/16/02 at 6:45 PM Wonko wrote:
>>
>>> [[ Note: The proposal below, in my opinion, could have a pretty good
>>> nomilogue to go with it. But I don't have time to write one. So if anyone
>>> else can suggest a good one, I'll amend this proposal to include it, and
>>> give say, all but one point of the proceeds to the author. Any takers?]]
>>>

>>> I submit the following proposal:
>>>
>>> {{
>>> __Crime Doesn't Pay__
>>>
>>> Create the following rules:
>>>
>>> {{
>>> __Criminal Behavior__ {*(Criminal),2*}
>>>
>>> Players may have the Attribute 'Wanted'. This attribute may be gained or
>>> lost only as specified by the rules.
>>>
>>> A player immediately becomes Wanted when any of the following occurs:
>>> *That player is kicked in the Ass four or more times within the same nweek
>>> *A Bomb Gnome which that Player has Thrown Explodes on an Elbonian Airways
>>> location
>>> *A Bomb Gnome which that Player has Thrown Explodes at the location of a
>>> Cop's Speeder.
>>>
>>> }}
>>>
>>> {{
>>> __Jail__ {*(Grid,Points,Criminal),4*}
>>>
>>> There exist 6 Grid Squares called Cells. The group of all Cells may be
>>> collectively reffered to as Jail.
>>>
>>> The 6 Cells have the following coordinates, respectively:
>>> (1,-5)
>>> (4,-5)
>>> (7,-5)
>>> (10,-5)
>>> (13,-5)
> [...]
>>> possession.
>>>
>>> }}
>>>
>>> {{
>>> __The Police__ {*(Gremlin,Grid,Criminal,Speeder),2*}
>>>
>>> There exist three Gremlins called the Police Gremlins. They may
>>> individually
>>> be reffered to as the First Police Gremlin, the Second Police Gremlin, and
>>> the Third Police Gremlin, or Cops # 1, 2, and 3. [[If anyone comes up with
>>> more creative names, let me know]] If at any time one of the Cops becomes
>>> Active, it is immediately given an Airspeeder and placed on a randomly
>>> selected Service Mall. At the beginning of each nweek, all Cops that are
>>> Hiding become Active. Whenever a Cop's Airspeeder is destroyed, the Cop in
>>> question goes into Hiding.
>>>
>>> Each Cop is said to be able to see all squares within five units of eir
>>> location, and all Grid Objects (including players) who are on those
>>> squares.
>>>
>>> At the end of each nweek, all Cops who are Active move eir Airspeeders as
>>> many times as they can, moving each time in the legal direction which would
>>> bring em closer to the Wanted player who is nearest to em and who can be
>>> seen by a Cop. [[If any of them can see you, they all chase you]] If
>>> multiple wanted players can be seen by a Cop, and they are all equidistant
>>> from a Cop who needs to move, the moving Cop will choose one at random to
>>> move towards.
>>>
>>> If a Cop occupies a square that is also occupied by a Wanted player, that
>>> player is Apprehended, loses the attribute Wanted, and is put in a random
>>> empty Jail Cell.
>>> }}
>>> }}
>>
>> Couple things...
>>
>> First, while I admit that the offenses you listed are things resulting from a
>> player's actions, and therefore a player becoming wanted is eir own fault, I
>> still don't like there being a limit on points one can earn.  If that's going
>> to be in there, perhaps it should be qualified to not include points from
>> proposals.
>>
>> Second, your jail cell grid locations violate r301, which says the grid runs
>> from 1-20 on each side, unless those negatives in your grid locations were an
>> accident.  I understand your logic -- you're trying to make grid locations
>> that can't be moved to or from -- but perhaps something that is unarguably
>> not
>> on the grid would be better, like confining them to Limbo, or creating a
>> second Limbo called Jail, or a player attribute of Jail with possible values
>> In and Not In.
>>
>> Besides, what happens if we're all naughty and there's a shortage of empty
>> cells?
>>
>> Glotmorf
>
> The Grid is *initially* 20x20. I made certain of that a while ago, I think
> during a Less is More proposal, in anticipation of proposing things like

Or, Damn, it's not *initially* 20x20. Thrice Damnation.  I could've sworn I
stuck that in somewhere... Did somebody rewrite that while I wasn't looking?

Nope, damn, damn, and damn again, I just forgot to stick it in my Neatening
proposal all those long nweeks ago... Actually, not too many nweeks ago...

Well, I'll fix that in the morning. 'Night!

--
Wonko