Glotmorf on 13 Aug 2002 06:24:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Now which way do I run?

On 8/12/02 at 5:53 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: bd <bdonlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>On Monday 12 August 2002 02:58 pm, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
>>Could you make the Grid 7-dimensional?
>>
>>--
>>bd
>
>Yup, if a proposal doing so passed.  It would have a bit of an effect on
>rules that reference grid locations, but it would be easy to do.  An
>easier
>way would be to make the following proposal (after mine passed):
>
>{{__The Next Dimension___
>There exists an Object with the following properties:
>Name: Dimensional Space
>Types: Physical Region [[like The Grid is]]
>
>In it are Locations, known as Dimspots, with the following names: "DimSpot
>b c d e f g h i j k", where each of the single-letter instances is an
>Integer, associated as follows:
>Letter Association Restriction
>a      Charm
>b      Activity
>c      Respect
>d      Style
>e      Entropy
>f      BAC
>g      Mischievousness
>h      Nobility
>i      Force
>Every DimSpot that can exist does.
>In addition to any other Location e is in, every Player is also in the one
>DimSpot whose integer components equal to the associated Values of that
>Player (rounded to the nearest Integer.
>The one DimSpot whose integer component all equal to 0 is known as the
>Origin.  The Origin's Substance is "Full of Stars". [[All Locations have a
>substance, so it need not be defined here.]]
>This rule supercedes all other rules that do not specifically overule it.
>When any rule considers the Location of a Player, it ignores any DimSpot e
>is in, unless that rule specifies it is considering DimSpots.[[So players
>aren't yanked out of position by other rules.]]
>}}
>
>I don't know if you were asking me to incorporate dimensions, or just
>asking
>if it could be done.  Well, it can, and if you want this bit incorporated,
>just let me know.

Have a look at Rule 469, Dimensional Realms.  I created the idea of realms because of the idea that IRL we naturally occupy three dimensions, and don't necessarily move in any additional dimensions no matter how much we move around in our basic three.  Therefore, for two players to be dimensionally in the same location, it should only be necessary for them to be within a certain distance of each other in all but three dimensions.

I made it fuzzy because there are just too many variances in player dimensions to count on an exact location.  This is also where dimships came in, because if all you need are all dimensions but three in common, it makes it hard (but not impossible) to avoid a dimship coming up and shooting at you...or for the other player to keep you from doing the same in response.

So I think the currently defined realms would be more workable and more playable than your locations.

						Glotmorf