Wonko on 24 Jun 2002 22:09:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] DimShip redo

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 6/24/02 at 10:08 AM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Quoth Glotmorf,
>>
>> I can also see this getting way out of hand. Since under your proposal
>> DimShips can be moved as many times per day as their pilot wants, and since
>> we already have a precedent for pseudocode actions, I could issue the
>> action:
>>
>> While (I have not rescided this action) {
>> if (I have the sushi) and (by changing my DimShip's values I could be at
>> the
>> same location as another player) {
>> I move my DimShip to that player's location;
>> I shoot the Sushi at that player;
>> I move my DimShip back to where it was before this action took effect;
>> }
>> }
>
> The short answer is, yes, you can do that.  The slightly longer answer is,
> yes, though you'll have to pick the Player to do it to, unless you're content
> to shoot at a random target.
>
> Not sure how it constitutes "way out of hand".  Hellatiously dynamic, yes, but
> I consider that, not a bug, but a feature.

But what if two players do it, and they get in range of each other with the
Sushi? Then the owner of the Sushi is impossible to determine - as soon as
one of 'em gets it, it moves to the other immediately, and vice versa.
Additionally, it'd then be impossible to determine their dimensions either,
as they'd be flying back and forth between two locations an infinite number
of times per second. I'd say unknowable dimensions count as "way out of
hand".

You could fix this by forbidding people to fire the Sushi on the day they
recieved it, by making all DimShip moves wait until the end of the nday to
take effect, or by forbidding pseudocode actions. Or by doing all three - I
think that might be better.

--
Wonko