Alex Truelsen on 23 Jun 2002 14:33:06 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Mega-Proposal (revision)

Now, now, let's play nice.
-*sullenly* E started it...-

I think the problem is thus: Most email software does quoting in the
manner I've done -- by putting > in front of each line. This leads to many nifty bonuses, like if a line starts with >> then it's (probably) a
quote-of-a-quote (i.e. He said, that she said, something).
-I had noticed this. However, Hotmail doesn't do it automatically- or if it does, I don't know how to make it, is there an option somewhere?- and I've never had the need or inclination to do it myself, and in fact, until a couple of days ago, no one had ever raised a snit about it. See, since it doesn't do it, and I'm not going to do it, I use the - - delimiters to indicate which parts of the text are mine, like when I'm responding piecemail, like this. Nifty features either way. I'll also note that I've been using this system since I started, or very soon after, and in those 10+ nweeks, no one has had a problem with it. Have I been committing a mild faux pas all this time, breeding quiet hatred and anger within all of you, which might at any moment explode outward in a vicious assault? Or does nobody really care?-

The fact that you don't delimit the quoted text in any way isn't
customary, and in fact can be a bit confusing. (At least I find it a bit
confusing, but I'm easily confused.)
-It's delimited by its lack of delimiters. Er... yeah. Something like that. I'm perpetually confused. Again, mentioning this stuff before I've been using a system for several real-world months is good...-

...dave

                                           -BvS-