Wonko on 19 Jun 2002 00:24:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Nearest location

Quoth Dan Waldron,

>> The 'nearest location' is not explicitly defined anywhere. Do we want another
>> near-crisis like the DimShips again?
>
> But we have a means for calculating distance.  "Nearest" is commonly used
> to mean "least distance".  Since our usage of "nearest location" exactly
> coincides with the standard English usage, and that standard English usage
> is pretty clear, we don't need to seperately define it.
>
> "Nearest location" is in the same category as "automated script", "dice
> roll", "transfer", "email address", "integer", or any number of other
> things understood without an explicit definition.

But what if something refers to the 'nearest location' and there are
multiple legal ones? Then the 'nearest location' is undefined - there is
more than one location that could be referred to that way. Still, I think a
simple "If a nearest location is called for, and there is more than one
nearest location, one is randomly chosen."

> There are a few words that we should define because they are used in ways
> different from the standard English usage.  Try any of these: "object",
> "entity", "ballot", "document", or "attribute".

The ballot is defined, and we use 'object', 'entity', 'attribute' and
'document' the way they are in standard English.

--
Wonko