Wonko on 18 Jun 2002 13:07:04 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Offers

Quoth Glotmorf,

> [[ Offers are sort of like mini-contracts that only involve two parties and
> very specific actions.  Anything more complex than that could probably be done
> as a Society. ]]
>
> {{ _I'll Make You an Offer You Can't Accept_
>
> {{ _Offers_
>
> An Offer is a set of required actions that two entities (Parties) agree to be
> bound by.  A Party agrees to be bound by an Offer when e Commits to it.  One
> Party, the Offeror, Commits to the Offer when e creates it by posting its
> terms on the public forum.  The other Party, the Acceptor, Commits to the
> Offer when e states on the public forum that e agrees to (Accepts) the Offer.
>
> The Offeror may restrict what entities are permitted to Accept the Offer,
> either by naming them explicitly or stating characteristics that include
> certain entities; if no such restriction is made, any entity is permitted to
> Accept the Offer.  At least one entity must be permitted to Accept the Offer.
> The Offeror may withdraw the Offer at any time prior to its Acceptance.
>
> An action that an Offer can require of a Party can be either a Gift or a
> Service.  A Gift is a transfer of game resources from the required Party to
> the other Party.  A Service is a game action that the required Party must
> perform; this game action must be accompanied by a Time Limit before which the
> action must be performed, and may be accompanied by a Contingency, which is a
> specification of game resources the required Party must transfer to the other
> Party if the action is not performed before the Time Limit.
>
> If a Party is responsible for a Gift, or if a Party is responsible for a
> Service that includes a Contingency, the resources stated in the Gift or
> Contingency are removed from the Party's possession when the Party Commits to
> the Offer.  Said resources (known as Escrow) are held by the Offer until the
> Offer is Concluded.
>
> If an Offer involves no Services, the Offer is Concluded when two Parties
> Commit to it.  At that time, resources held in Escrow are transferred to the
> Parties intended to receive them.
>
> If an Offer involves Services, or Gifts and Services, the Offer is Concluded
> when all Services are Performed or Defaulted.  A Service is Performed if the
> Party responsible for the Service performs the action specified by the Service
> before the Time Limit specified by the Service; a Service is Defaulted if said
> Party fails to perform said action before the Time Limit.  Once all Services
> are Performed or Defaulted, if any Defaulted Services in the Offer do not have
> Contingencies, all Escrow is returned to the Parties that originally provided
> it; otherwise, Escrow for Gifts is transferred to the receiving Party, Escrow
> for Contingencies of Defaulted Services is transferred to the receiving Party,
> and Escrow for Contingencies of Performed Services is returned to the
> providing Party.

> [...]

One small loophole here - What if I submit an offer that includes my paying
somebody, say, 2000 points? I can't Commit to the Offer because I don't have
the resources for the Gifts that would be required of me, but nothing stops
me from creating the Offer... Then we've got a free-floating Offer with
nobody attached to it.

--
Wonko