Glotmorf on 1 Jun 2002 18:50:43 -0000

spoon-discuss: Dan's megaprop

Dan,

	With all due respect, I've got enough problems with enough pieces of this proposal that I've come up with an alternative form for it below, which I'd like to offer you.  I've made it an A La Carte Prop, breaking it into separate items.

	While I admire the effort you put into your proposal, I'm still prepared to vote no on the whole thing in its current form because it repeals Rule 0.  Rule 0 was created in response to a general agreement that a safety net was needed, since there was no provision otherwise to deal with either a paradox or the loss of the Administrator.  I'm not prepared to give it up yet, and I'd be surprised if most of the other players were. (see Item 8 below)

	In your Definitions section, I believe your definition of "non-Beings" would include Gremlins, which are designed to make changes to the game state.  Forbidding non-Beings from changing the game state might mess a few things up.  I added a piece to the last sentence. (see Item 2 below)

	I moved the change to Rule 25 into the same item as the new rule describing Administrator duties.  Given the duties rule, is Rule 25 still necessary, especially in your amended form?  Perhaps replacing the text of Rule 25 with the text of your new duties rule would be more efficient. (see Item 4 below)

	I'm uncomfortable with the Rule 14 change.  If forfeiting means withdrawing consent, does withdrawing consent mean forfeiting? (see Item 5 below)

	I've added my suggested definition of Charter Rules in place of your placeholder.  I think it'll cover Society Charters, and also something I'm working on called Offers. (see Item 6 below)

	Chutzpah was created to give subclasses of priority to rules, so that it was not necessary to explicitly state when one rule takes priority over another (which can get confusing with the Less is More trend).  Having two classes of rules -- physical and mutable -- is nice, but is it truly sufficient? (see Item 9 below)

	Regarding the change to Rule 152: Why take out proposals as a mechanism for changing the game state?  Or are you considering proposals actions? (see Item 10 below)

						Glotmorf

Alternate proposal form:

{{ __Introducing Physical Law__

This is an A La Carte Prop.

{{ _Item 1_

Give to the following Rules the designation "Physical Law"
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 22, 153, 154, 205, 206, 207, 210,
213, 215, 216, 258, 259, 293, 295, 298, 301, 344, 346, 347, 349, 350, 351,
352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 394, 401, 405, 407, 408, 440, 441, 443, 466, 469,
493, 494, 495, 497, 498, 502, 503, 504, 546, 547, 549, 550, 577, 628, 635,
622, 696, 705, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753.

Give to the following Rules the designation "Mutable Rule"
0, 9, 10, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 124,
125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 150, 151, 152, 155, 204, 208, 209, 211, 212, 214,
216, 217, 255, 257, 262, 263, 294, 300, 358, 393, 395, 396, 403, 404, 436,
437, 573, 578, 580, 625, 626, 627, 629, 630, 631, 633, 536, 697, 698, 699,
700, 701, 704, 706, 746.

Enact the following new rule and make it a "Physical Law"
{{
__Rule Classes & Permissions__
There exist three types of rules: Physical Laws, Mutable Rules, and
Charter Rules.

Physical Laws take precedence over all other rules.  Mutable Rules take
precedence over Charter Rules.

All entities defined or regulated by the Physical Laws by obey the
Physical Laws.  An action is impossible if it is prohibited by the
Physical Laws.

Players, the Administrator, and any other self-willed entities are
required to obey the Mutable Rules. An action is illegal if it is
prohibited by the Mutable Rules.

Obeyance to the Physical Laws does not exempt an entity subject to the
Mutable Rules from any requirement in either body of rules.

Charter Rules are of lower precedence than Physical Laws or Mutable Rules.
Players are not required to obey Charter Rules except as specified in the
Mutable Rules.  Non-player entities are not required to obey the Charter
Rules.

}}

Revise rule 18 by replacing "Ruleset" with "Mutable Rules" in the first
paragraph.

}} [[ End of Item 1 ]]

{{ _Item 2_

This item is contingent upon the passage of Item 1, and has no effect if Item 1 fails.

Revise rule 13 "Definitions" by revising it to read as follows:
{{

A player is any entity who is capable of passing the Turing test, consents
to said designation as a player, has become a player in the manner
described in the rules, and who consents to be abide by the Mutable Rules.

A being is any entity which is either a Player or the Administrator.

A Proposing Entity, or PE, is any entity which is capable of issuing a
Proposal.

Beings may make changes to the rules and game state.  Non-beings may not, except as specified in the rules.
}}

}} [[ End of Item 2 ]]

{{ _Item 3_

Revise rule 21 "Score" by amending it to read as follows:
{{
Players may own points. The number of points in the posession of a player
shall be known as eir score.

The owner of one or more points may transfer any or all points in eir
possession to another legal owner by posting to the public forum.

Whenever a rule states that a Player receives points, the number of points
in eir possession shall be increased accordingly; whenever a rule states
that a player loses points, the number of points in eir possession shall
be lowered accordingly, but it shall never become less than zero.

New players initially do not possess any points.
}}

}} [[ End of Item 3 ]]

{{ _Item 4_

This item is contingent upon the passage of Item 1, and has no effect if Item 1 fails.

Revise rule 25, "The Administrator" by amending it to read as follows:
{{
The Administrator may make changes to the Rules and the Game State in accordance with eir duties as specified in the Rules.  The Administrator is subject to the Mutable Rules.
}}

Enact the following new mutable rule:
{{
__Duties of the Administrator__

The Administrator is responsible for all game duties not assigned by the
Rules to other players.

The Administrator shall alter the rules and the game state only as
follows:

E shall update the game state to reflect actions legally taken and
rules-defined game events.

E shall create and distribute points when called upon to do so
by the Mutable Rules.

E shall alter the rules and game state as formally requested to do so by
players via procedures defined in the mutable rules.

If no players exist or it has become demonstrably impossible to make
changes to either the Physical Laws or the Mutable Rules e shall make such
changes to the rules and game state as are nescessary to ensure that
future play is possible.

}}

}} [[ End of Item 4 ]]

{{ _Item 5_

Revise rule 14 by appending the following:
{{
Forfeiting is equivalent to withdrawal of consent.
}}

Revise rule 10 by changing it to read as follows:
{{
A player who refuses to obey the Rules is assumed to have withdrawn eir
consent.  E should be given a reasonable opportunity to correct eir
actions before this assumption is made.

If a player attempts to take an action that would violate the Rules the
Administrator or relevant minister shall refuse to recognize that action
unless the player specifically states that e is aware the action is
illegal but will attempt it anyway.
}}

}} [[ End of Item 5 ]]

{{ _Item 6_

This item is contingent upon the passage of Item 1, and has no effect if Item 1 fails.

Enact the following new mutable rule:
{{
__Charter Rules__

A Charter Rule applies to a subset of game entities, whether explicitly named or specified by a set of characteristics.  A Charter Rule may include methods for adding entities to or removing entities from the Charter Rule's applicability.

}}

}} [[ End of Item 6 ]]

{{ _Item 7_

This item is contingent upon the passage of Item 1, and has no effect if Item 1 fails.

Revise rule 32 by appending the following to the third paragraph:
{{
Unless specified otherwise in the proposal, any new rule created is a
Mutable Rule.
}}

}} [[ End of Item 7 ]]

{{ _Item 8_

Repeal rule 0

}}

{{ _Item 9_

Repeal rule 33

}}

{{ _Item 10_

Amend rule 152 by revising it to read as follows:
{{
Changes to the state of the game may only be made by an Action which is
permitted (elsewhere) by the Mutable Rules, or by the Administrator
performing eir duties.
}}

}} [[ End of Item 10 ]]

{{ _Item 11_

Amend rule 395 by deleting the first paragraph

Amend rule 154 by appending the following to the second paragraph:
{{
Players have an attribute named Respect.  Respect is a Dimension.
}}

}} [[ End of Item 11 ]]

}} [[ End of Proposal ]]