Wonko on 13 May 2002 20:53:00 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Prop change

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 5/13/02 at 4:36 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Quoth Ed Murphy,

>>> Oh, I haven't even started yet.  Wait till I grok the Rules enough to
>>> start making my own Proposals.  :)
>>>
>>> More seriously:  Why is Rule 155 broken?  Gavin just mentioned a past
>>> CFJ, but I wasn't here when it occurred.
>>>

>> It forbids proposals to discriminate between players depending on how they
>> voted on a certain issue. The CFJ RePol refers to is an ancient one that
>> decided that the effects of rules created by proposals do not count as
>> effects of the proposal itself. Thus, r155 is broken because one can get
>> around it simply by making a rule to do the counting for you.
>>
>> --
>> Wonko
>
> Except that the current version of r155 says that rules that count votes are
> an effect of the proposals that made them do that.  So r155 isn't currently
> broken.  Though it doesn't exactly forbid proposals that make rules that count
> votes; it just says that if one makes a rule that takes action based on vote
> count, it doesn't actually take that action.
>
> Glotmorf

Then Uin's proposal is not actually illegal; it's rule will simply have no
effect. Except it's got Chutzpah 10. So it will anyway. And r155 is broken.

It's broken anyway, 'cause you could simply add another layer - create a
rule that creates a rule that creates a rule ... that discriminates based on
voting.
--
Wonko