Eric Gerlach on 18 Apr 2002 00:40:08 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Profiles

At 07:55 PM 17/04/02 -0400, you wrote:
If I may weigh into this debate... IRC would be the best option,
IMHO.  Internet Relay Chat is the longest standing chat program (other than
talk)... and for those of us who can't/won't get ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN (I swear
people... get Trillian... geez), it's a good option, and you don't have to
sign up for any accounts or anything.  For those who need a Windows client,
you can get mIRC at: http://www.mirc.com/

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and yoink #bnomic on DALNet.  Password:
"proosal" ... to keep the pr0n bots out.  Anyone care to join me?

Bean

Perhaps a little walkthrough for those of us who are new to this? I dl'd mIRC and I can't make sense of it.

Sure... I'm not that good at this, but here goes...

The first thing you need to do is connect to a server. You can do this by going to File->Options, choosing the Connect option from the list on the left... filling out your info (Nick, name, email - you can fake it if you want), and then choosing a server from the dropdown list. I think mIRC defaults to "Random US DALNet Server", which is exactly what you want. Click the "Connect to IRC Server" button.

If all went well you should get connected to the server. You may get a message that your nick is owned by someone else and to enter the password... if you get this message just change your nick using the:

/nick <new nickname>

command. If for some reason you didn't get connected, bring up the options again and try connecting again... you may have picked a random server that was full.

Once you're connected, you can join the channel using:

/join #bnomic proosal

As of now, Wild Card and I are in the channel... this may not work out 100%, but who knows.

Hope this is semi-sufficient....

Cheers,

Bean