David E. Smith on 9 Apr 2002 05:19:52 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Nomilogue #5

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Glotmorf wrote:

> "If a player's Entropy exceeds Maximum Entropy / # of players / 2, all
> eir messages posted to the public forum must consist of words of two or
> fewer syllables.  If a player's Entropy exceeds Maximum Entropy / # of
> players / 3, all eir messages posted to the public forum must consist of
> words of one syllable.  Comprehensible abbreviations and acronyms are
> acceptable in order to comply with this."

You may want to parenthesize the equation, so it's clear what you mean.

There are two ways to read that, assuming the current number of 13
players:

500 / 13 / 3 -- simply taking each in left-to-right order, which gives a
total of 12.82. Which puts just about everyone in the "one syllable"
category.

or

500 / (13/3) = 115.something

I doubt the former is what you want, but that's what the rule currently
says.

Also: Yes, please post your CFJ ruling to a public forum. I don't think
Web sites count as public, per the rules, and that's one precedent I don't
really want to set.

(This will be recognized sometime tomorrow afternoon, by the way.)

...dave