Wonko on 6 Apr 2002 14:25:07 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Late Late Late nweek 11 results

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 4/6/02 at 12:03 AM David E. Smith wrote:
>
>> The Yeti is thrown, Elbonia style, at (10,10). E "lands" at (10,10), which
>> is already occupied by a Big Rock. Since the rules don't allow those two
>> to overlap, I rule that e bounces back to Limbo.
>
> Sadly, I can't post this to the business forum without sushifying, but at
> least I can discuss it here..."thrown, Elbonia style", defined in r351,
> includes resolution of what happens if the thrown thing lands on an impassable
> object such as a Big Rock: it bounces, and is Elbonia-thrown at the square it
> just attempted to fall on -- which pretty much guarantees it won't attempt to
> fall on it again.
>
> So the Yeti is probably somewhere on the Grid.  Or at least should be.
>
> Glotmorf

The Elbonian style specifies what happens if a *player* lands on an
impassable object. I assume, however, that the Yeti is not a player (or at
least, I certainly hope it isn't).

So the Elbonian rule does not actually cover this.

On the other hand, "Elbonia Style" could be interpreted to mean "as if it
were a player flying Elbonian" instead of "as if it were flying Elbonian",
in which case it bounces, but the Yeti also has negative points now. (Or
should I say, the Yeti owes the world some points)

--Wonko

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato