Eric Gerlach on 2 Apr 2002 04:02:47 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Ballot?

At 10:19 PM 2002-04-01 -0500, you wrote:
Quoth r23:

"The Administrator shall, at least 48 hours prior to the close of voting
each nweek, distribute to all Players the Ballot for that nweek. The Ballot
shall list all proposals that were recognized after the start of the
previous nweek's voting period."

I have yet to see such a Ballot this nweek, even though the deadline has
passed. My question is this: Has the Ballot in fact been distributed to all
players, and listed all proposals that were recognized after the start of
the previous nweek's voting period? Because according to the world, the
admin hasn't sent it out, and according to the rule, e has... Do we have
some procedure for dealing with rules that make false statements?
    As far as I can tell, the procedure so far has been to assume the
statement is true within the context of the Nomic Game, as in, although
there is not, in the real world, a Scoring Gremlin, we assume the statement
"There exists a Gremlin called the Scoring Gremlin" to be true in the
context of the Game. But by that logic, we must also assume that the Admin
has, in fact, already distributed 'a Ballot' which has listed all proposals
for this nweek. So it's 'happened'. It just hasn't happened.

I know I'm a stickler for rule accuracy and literality, so I'm thinking that we have two options in this scenario. Option one, invoke rule 0. I don't like that option, it's icky.

Option two: Informal vote: Stop the clock until such a time as the admin starts it again. It's our game, and we can do what we want to. If we all turn a blind eye to it, sure it's against the rules but we'll never know the difference. I vote yes on my informal proposal. Anyone else?

Bean