Jonathan Van Matre on 13 Feb 2002 20:04:01 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Predictions of Doom and Gloom

Apart from the 1 nweek, 2 nweek time difference, I see no major difference between the bug fixing proposal alone and the same proposal with Uncle Psychosis's rule 129 mod.

In either event, if the admin makes a mistake, someone must notice it and call attention to it within a set amount of time.

In either event, if no one notices, said mistake becomes irreversible if not noticed within that timeframe.

In either event, the Admin is free to report whatever incorrect information about the game state e likes -- for example, that a Gremlin is "flaming".  And we are free to either say "That's OK", or challenge what has been said.

However, in either event there are limits on that power, because Rule 10 requires the Admin to abide by all the rules.  So the Admin is barred from misrepresenting the game state in an illegal fashion.  E can assign bogus attributes to Gremlins (or call the gamestate blue), but e can't break the rules by, for example, resetting everyone's score to zero in a situation that doesn't require it.  This works despite Rule 129 claiming precedence over Rule 10, because Rule 10 has higher Chutzpah.  Even if the precedence doesn't work, if the admin is regularly breaking the rules, we'll all just quit playing because a rigged game is no fun, so it's in eir best interest not to do so.

Therefore, this is the precise difference between the situation with / without Uncle Psychosis's mod to Rule 129:

You either get 1 nweek or 2 nweeks to complain.

That's it.

Anyone care to demonstrate something I've missed?

--Scoff!