David E. Smith on 2 Feb 2002 10:03:31 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday evening)

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Tyler Crosby wrote:

> >The Voice's "Precedents, Schmrecedents" is not recognized - it's still
> >nweek 6, and you're out of proposals.
>
> I know this and I was proposing it for next nweek... people do that all the
> time, don't they?  Maybe I'm misreading and I just proposed it a bit too
> early.  In any case, if it could be recognized for next nweek, that would be
> great.

I can't legally recognize it for next nweek, until next nweek, if you've
already hit your bandwidth limit. While I'll be the first to admit that I
have, of late, taken a few liberties with the rules, I believe most of my
actions were in the best interest of maintaining some sort of consistency
and sanity within the game, or at least trying to keep the game fun.

Example: The whole "everyone but me forfeits" events seemed to do little
more than piss everyone off. Whether that was because, or in spite of, my
utter refusal to acknowledge that action, is a question of some debate...
But having a one-player game isn't fun for anyone, not even me. And if I
accepted that action, then there'd likely have been a whole chain of "I
rejoin, e forfeits" going on for the next week, and it would be downhill
from there...

Bending and twisting the rules is one thing - specifically, the whole darn
point of Nomic. Flat-out breaking them is another - specifically, "no
fun."

Sorry, I think I got a bit off the original subject there.

Anyway.

To the best of my recall, since Bandwidth Rationing took effect, I haven't
recognized any proposals early. People that made proposals during voting,
did so because they had proposals left over from that nweek's quota.
(Whether this is a loophole of some sort is another debate entirely.)

Unless someone decides to turn this into Imperial Nomic (which I think
would be fun in its own right, but maybe I'm just sick and twisted), I'm
still arguably bound by the rules. I prefer to think of myself as
an enabler/facilitator than a game entity, but what the hell.

...dave