Rob Speer on 30 Jan 2002 20:42:32 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Gender Recognition

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 02:52:08AM -0500, Donald Whytock wrote:
> Add "using an inappropriate pronoun" to the LOGAS.
>
> }}

I don't like this at ALL.

To be perfectly honest, when I gave away the Scarf, I couldn't remember
whether Congenital Optimist was male or female, so I used the generic
pronoun 'eir' so that it wouldn't matter.

Under that proposal, it seems that referring to a single person with
'eir', unless e is Undeclared, would be worthy of a Kick. A player's
declared gender may not even be related to eir actual gender (see that
Congenital Optimist is now a Drone), making things even more confusing.

Spivak pronouns are great, especially on the Internet. Your proposal
would mandate that they are replaced with ordinary pronouns whenever
possible.
--
Rob Speer