Doig, Gavin on 22 Jan 2002 13:24:09 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: RE: Numbering the monkeys

> In Suber's original ruleset (cf.
> http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/nomic.htm#initial%20set), numbering

> is important because the ruleset is designed to mimic constitutional law,
> where some laws are easily changed (mutable) and some are not (immutable).

> The mutable and immutable laws are distinguished by their number.

Well, initially by number; you can transmute them afterwards.

> Likewise the precedence issue is also tied into the numbering. In Suber's
> initial ruleset, the lower numbered rules take precedence not only because

> they were first, but because the lowest numbered rules are the most
> foundational. E.g. our Rule 10 is Rule #1 in Suber's initial ruleset. Any
> rule below 200 is immutable, while those 200 and above are mutable.

You can take out the immutability and still have precedence.

> The problem with Suber's initial ruleset is that it really was designed
for
> face-to-face, round-robin play and doesn't work well for asynchronous
> internet play. Many of the initial ruleset's that start internet Nomic
> games are not nearly as well thought out as Suber's initial ruleset,
though.

There are certainly several features that need reworking for internet play.
The precedence system, and having the most important rules be first, work
just as well in internet or face to face play, though. You're right about
the ruleset being well thought out; it probably wouldn't hurt to borrow as
much as we can from them. ;-)

uin.
Repeal rule 10!

DISCLAIMER:
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the intended
recipients(s)") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is
privileged, proprietary and/or confidential within the meaning of applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please contact the
sender of this message as soon as possible.

The views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and
may not necessarily be the views held by Azurgroup Limited

<<application/ms-tnef>>