Glenn Overby II on 13 Jan 2002 06:24:45 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Darn zero-based Clock... (nweek 4 ballot)

Rob writes:

>"Half again as many" means "1.5 times as many"? I never would have
>guessed. Here in the Northeastern US I've never heard the phrase "half
>again" used like that.

Regional usage has a way of biting like that...if this usage is in fact regional.  I've
grown up with it.

Encarta World English Dictionary's 3rd definition of "again", with example:  3. IN
ADDITION in addition to a previously mentioned quantity * <i>You'll need all that
and half as much again.</i>

Close, although not quite a match.

>Thus, based on what you interpret the "again" to mean, proposals require
>either 1/3 or 3/5 of the votes to pass. That is a very very bad
>ambiguity. Let's keep regional idioms (if that's what it is) out of the
>Rules.

I do not agree that it is ambiguous, although it would be far better to specify 60%
or three-fifths of the votes cast...

Octagon

Glenn E. Overby II
Clinton Twp, MI

=====

Icehouse Games Pages (take the IcePoll!)
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/IceGames.html