Wonko on 12 Jan 2002 03:42:37 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Titles, and a be tter bandwidth limit

on 1/11/02 3:55 PM, Rob Speer at rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> legislation.
>>>
>>> That just doesn't work at all. All you see is people creating a rule which
>>> performs all the separate rule changes and then repeals itself, so you end
>>> up with proosals which are actually slightly longer (and much uglier).
>>
>> Which can be easily solved by making a Proposal the only vehicle for a Rule
>> Change. Hence you couldn't implement a Rule full of Rule Changes.

I'm currently involved in a face to face Nomic where only one rule-change is
allowed per turn, and my biggest grievance with the game is how hard it is
to make changes affecting more basic ideas. The problem is that there would
be entrenched ideas mentioned in multiple rules which couldn't be changed in
one without creating paradoxes in the others, and various bugs would never
be fixed because it would take three or four turns to extract an idea from
these rules so it could be modified. If multiple rule changes are allowed,
however, then it's possible to fix the same problem in multiple rules at
once, which is much faster and neater.

As for the lengthy proposal thing, the solution is just to vote NO on
anything too long and complicated to read. That way, it's always possible to
make compound changes, but if you get excessive, you'll lose points.
Eventually people will stop trying to make big nasty multiple changes, and
everything will be simpler.
--
Wonko