Jonathan Van Matre on 10 Jan 2002 14:51:19 -0000

spoon-discuss: HTML Mail

For the record, as a user of Outlook when at work myself...

1) Users of Outlook who want to send formatted e-mail to other Outlook
users at their company, but prevent their messages from spilling HTML
tags into online forums can make use of the Outlook Rich Text Format.  I
use this all the time.  When I send to people within the company, I bold
and italicize text to my heart's content.  When I send to non-Exchange
servers, it gets sent as plain text.

>> or
>> find the option that says "Reply to HTML messages in HTML" and turn
it
>> off.
>>
> As far as I can tell, there is no such option in Outlook. Although the
> "send in plain text" option was sufficiently hidden that I can't
> rule out the possibility.

2) When editing messages in Outlook, you can change the format of the
message as you are editing it.  Under the Format menu are 3 options:
HTML, Plain Text, and Rich Text.  But there is no option to force
replies to all HTML messages to automaticall remove the HTML.  I suppose
one could program a macro in VBA to switch Format modes automatically
every time you start a new message, but it would be a lot easier to just
prevent the problem in the first place by using Rich Text mode as noted
in #1.

--Scoff!