Joel Uckelman on 30 Mar 2001 11:20:48 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Go move

Quoth Jeff Schroeder:
> I claim my stone and place it at p17 (with a S for Schroeder).
>
> Banker, don't forget to apply Rule 378/0, I can see how it could be forgotten
> .
>
> Question about Rule 368/0 number 1. "Stones may not be placed so as to
> repeat a previous Board configuration"  to what extent is this valid?  Is
> this between different games?  Who defines the previous Board configuration?

I meant this to be taken to apply only within games, not across them. As
for its meaning, it means just that: if your proposed play would return the
Board to precisely some Stone arrangement that has already occurred, then
it's illegal. Don't worry, this sort of thing is only likely to happen on
the very small scale. Once the game gets going, it should be almost
impossible to return the board to a far earlier state.

--
J.