Joel Uckelman on 30 Mar 2001 11:13:41 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Go move

Quoth "Harrison, Andrew":
> Ok, I never really understood the whole Go proposal, so let me just check
> this. I get one free stone per nweek and get place it anywhere in the grid,
> yes? And can someone explain in simple language what the point of the game
> is?

I'll try. You want to enclose territory, or capture stones. Mainly enclose
territory, though.

E.g.:

. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . A . .
. . A B . .
. . . A . .
. . . . . .

If it's A's move, then A can capture B's stone, and score a point for that.

. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . A . .
. . A . A .
. . . A . .
. . . . . .

If A is lucky, e might be able to hold on to the territory that B vacated,
and thus score another point when the game ends. I hope that provides an
illustration of how this works. If you want some good examples, there are a
few here:

http://www.yutopian.com/go/goLes/goLes1.html

and here:

http://www.sfgoclub.com/beginners/W2Go8x11.pdf

The political aspect should make things a lot less like traditional Go,
though.

Does that help?

--
J.