Jorg Rathlev on 16 Mar 2001 14:44:56 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: I pay my debts (sort of...)

> When did you create the debts?  I never saw you recognize the creation of
> any debt in your ownership--by R347 debts are created when their creation
> is recognized by their owner.

They must have been created automatically as soon as I started to owe Points to the bank. Or the debts don't exist.

Anyway, I must be the one who created them, because they're owed by me and debts are always owed by the creator.

> Also, in your analysis you leave out a key part of the sentence.  The
> sentence you claim gives you ownership of the debts is actually:
>
> 	Unless specified otherwise by the rules or a legislative,
> 	administrative, or judicial order the debt is always owed by
> 	its creator.
>
> For these debts, R231/1 specified otherwise.

No R231/1 specifies that I owe Points to the bank. By R358, this pending Point transfer is a debt.

R231 doesn't specify to whom I owe a debt, it just specifies to whom I owe Points. I do owe points to the bank, and I might continue to do so, depending on how R358's "satisfiying the debt" is interpreted (either the transfer satisfies the debt, then my debts would be satisfied (but I might still owe points), or satisfying the debt is the definition of the transfer, but then we don't have a definition of how to satisfy a debt and no debt has ever been destroyed (even though the points might no longer be owed)).

Joerg