Joel Uckelman on 3 Mar 2001 03:22:08 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Agents and Organizations

Quoth Rob Speer:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 06:35:12PM +0100, J?rg Rathlev wrote:
> > Amend rule 105 (Agents) to read:
> >
> > "Any of the following are Agents:
> >
> > 1. Players,
> > 2. Organizations,
> > 3. Parties, if they have one or more representatives who may take actions o
> n behalf of the Party."
>
> Congratulations, that prevents anyone from joining the game, because they'd
> have to be a player, a party, or an organization already.
>
> "Agents" needs to be vague unless we change a bunch of rules. My concept of a
> Agent is anyone who knows of the existence of A Nomic, as well as any
> imaginary entity associated with A Nomic in the minds of those people.
>
> --
> Rob Speer

Woah. That didn't occur to me when I read it.

I had always thought of Agents as "anyone who has spoken up on the list,
plus whatever autonomous thingies we define within the game". Why not just
codify that? I'd suggest changing 1 to:

"1. Any being who has at some time publicly indicated eir presence,"

--
J.