Jeff N Schroeder on 13 Feb 2001 14:45:17 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: A proposal by the newbie

>> I was meaning to ask you about that, actually. I don't see why I=20
>> shouldn't=20
>> be able to type an =F6. See, right there, I just did! :)
>
>Simply because most international keyboards don't happen to have a key =
>for those characters :-)
>
>And some people using such keyboards might be using a keyboard driver =
>that allows typing international characters, and can't change or don't =
>want to change the driver and/or keyboard layout.
>

>> If that comes=20
>> through ok, then I see no reason why you can't have your name spelled=20
>> correctly.
>
>Hmmm, your character worked.

Not for me!  i still see 'M-v' or '=F6' :)

>By comparing the mail headers of your mail with those of my mails, I =
>found out that using the iso-8859-1 encoding is ok, but since the =
>mailing list software seems to convert 8bit to 7bit, the 8bit characters =
>have to be translated to 7bit-characters before the mailing list does =
>so. And guess what some idiot at Microsoft set as the default for MIME =
>encoding in Outlook? Yes, it's "none" :-(

SMTP was created to only support 7bit characters, thus it does 8-7
bit conversion to the sent mail.  This is usually fine, but extended
characters (anything about 127 bits) have problems... :)  MIME and
UUencoding (newsgroups) will encode the data to protect the 8 bit.

>To make things (i.e. Outlook) worse, if I set it to qouted-printable, =
>Outlook can't insert line breaks any more (to avoid sending lines longer =
>than 80 chars). Anyway, I've changed the setting now, so let's see if it =
>works: =F6=D6=E4=C4=FC=DC=DF.

Stupid Outlook!  It's very virus-prone as well...

>If it works, I'd like to be known as "J=F6rg", but anyone who cannot =
>type an o-Umlaut character can also write "Joerg", I have no problem =
>with that spelling (actually, it *is* correct).
>

>Joerg,
>or J=F6rg, whatever works best :-)

Anyone on UNIX who doesn't have MIME support will have trouble with this,
but I can still figure out who you are... :)

jeff