Joel Uckelman on 22 Nov 2000 00:33:05 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: Proposal: For consistancy

Quoth Dan Waldron:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Harrison, Andrew wrote:
>
> > > The following is a new proposal titled "This game is an agent"
> > > ______
> > > Enact a new rule titled "This game is an agent" with text as follows:
> > >
> > > This game is an agent.
> > > ______
> >
> > That could have interesting effects. Why do you want to do that then?
>
> Because the rules say that an agent is an entity capable of action, and
> that the status of agents may be modified only as specified in the rules.
> I think it is better to do this than to have a fight about it later.
>
> I have some other proposals coming up that might work better if there is
> no argument that the game is an agent.
>
> Poulenc

Hmm. I'm not sure I like the idea of the game being an Agent, simply
because it doesn't appear to be one by the current definition of Agent. I
suppose if you want to redefine the set of things with Agency as the union
of {whatever meets the current definition of Agent} and {the Game}. I won't
vote for this without a little more explanation--how is it exactly that the
Game can take independent action?

--
J.

--