Joel Uckelman on 25 Oct 2000 03:22:32 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: The game needs a name !

Quoth "Kieron Jarvis":
> Hi All,
> I think it's time we started thinking about a proper name for this game
> we're playing.
>
> Here's what I'd like to do.
>
> 1. An informal survey (brainstorming) for potential names for this game.
> (discussion list)
>
> 2. At the start of the voting period (Oct 30) I'd like to distribute a list
> of suggested names to be voted on. (still informal - discussion list)
>
> 3. At the start of next nweek (Nov 1) I'd then announce the results and make
> a Proposal for changing the game name. (business list) We'd have until the
> voting period began to nut out any changes in the Proposal wording.
>
> 4. Hopefully then at the start of nweek 5 we'd officially have a name for
> our Nomic.
>

> Here are my initial suggestions for Namics (Nomic names):
>
> 	An Unnamed Nomic
> 	Cimon
> 	Cimonomic
> 	Spoonomic
> 	Megalonomica
> 	Misnomic
>
> I'm sure you can come up with better, submit your suggestions now !
>
> XnJester

Oh, man, here we go again.

I like:

Spoon (or variations thereof)
Gin and Nomic with a Twist of Lime
A Nomic (like it says at the top of the page)

What's the deal with "Cimon" and "Cimonomic"?

I'm beginning to think that the only reason we need a name is to facilitate
reference to our game in extra-game contexts, i.e. on the NNBB or the
apparently-defunct internomic list. Internally, we know what game we're
talking about. (So I guess Josh has converted me somewhat.)

--
J.

--
Play Nomic!