Dan Waldron on 5 Oct 2000 18:49:14 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Subliminal Proposal

> I realize that was probably a joke, but being the mental wanker that I am,
> I have to disagree. The American notion of "separation of church and
> state" is pretty fucked up to begin with. Church and State necessarily
> must be bound together. Church defines morality and state implements that
> morality. Separation of church and state would (and does!) create a
> morally inconsistent nation.

State-implemented morality has been a central part of the most
recognizable totalitarian states in the 20th century, that is, Stalinist
Russia and Fascist Germany.  Not that I would group anyone on this list
with those movements; I just feel that it is something that can easily be
turned to bad ends.  If moral inconsistancy is the price we must pay to
preserve our freedom of speech and expression the so be it.

Poulenc