Jamie Dallaire on Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:09:22 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Consultation 197 on I Propose Synonyms

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Tyler <wisety@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Consultation 197. I assign to Priest 0x44.
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Elliott Hird <
> penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Consultation: {Is "I propose {X}" a synonym for "I submit the proposal
> > {X}"?}
> > Arguments: retarded monkey

I Answer NO.

Reasoning:
{
Bah. Poop. I reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't think this question is really all that
important. I'm going to go with no because {X} could be anything. I think
that with certain Xs, these would be reasonably synonymous. With other Xs,
it would not.

e.g. contrast:

I submit the proposal named "Hubba Gubba".

I propose named "Hubba Gubba". (wat?)

Where the answer really should be SOMETIMES, I think the most reasonable
answer from among those allowed is NO.

Note that despite 5E13's requirement that the Action of Submitting be taken
in a PF message to successfully submit a Game Document, game custom has long
been to disregard this (I'm not sure how long that particular requirement
has been around, however). For example, some players routinely submit
Proposals that consist of the entire text of a message with a title like
"Proposal: Hubba Gubba". These do not explicitly purport to Submit a Game
Document, but do fulfill the 5E13 requirement that the Game Document be
fully described.

In other words, I'm trying to say that the reason I'm answer NO is not that
submitting a Game Document requires that the submitter state e is submitting
it (though it may - another debate), but that the wording of this particular
Consultation easily allows for the construction of infinite malformed
counter-examples that clearly would not be synonymous.

I'm not particularly convinced by my answer, but neither am I particularly
inclined to give this Question much thought. It really shouldn't matter.
Marr965 should really just (please) stop trying to submit things that way.
}

Billy Pilgrim