comex on Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:53:09 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [s-d] logical hand grenades

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I answer this YES (per Warrigal's arguments) with the observation that
> having the ability to do so is really kind of dumb.

Let me tell a (made-up) story.

I'm on a train, and I'm very tired.  So tired that I miss my stop.
Well, I'm very annoyed at that because it'll probably take me quite a
while to get back where I was going to go, if I exit on the next stop
and take the train back.  But I'm in luck: on the train is an
emergency pull switch, with a sign next to it that says I can use it
to stop the train at any time.  It also says I'm should only use the
switch in emergencies, but I'm in a big hurry: I decide to forgo that
requirement and use the pull switch to avoid having to go all the way
to the next stop.

So I search for several minutes for instructions on how to use the
pull switch properly, because it seems very poorly documented, missing
the next stop too in the process.  The stop after that isn't for
thirty minutes, but I don't care.  I even ask the train conductor for
help, which he somewhat confusedly tries to give me.

And then I sit down.

Horrified, I realize that the sign was wrong.

The pull switch does not contain a time machine for me to travel back
in time and stop the train in the past.

(INCONSISTENT.)