Geoffrey Spear on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 04:55:49 -0700 (MST)

[s-b] Consultation 86 Answer

On Jan 2, 2008 10:49 PM, Justin Ahmann <quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> {
> As of the time at which this Consultation is submitted, at an exchange rate
> of 5 mackerel for 1 point, would it be possible for the Player named Dominov
> to exchange all of his points for exactly 500 mackerel?
>
> Reasoning: The above exchange would necessitate 100 points. I submit that
> Dominov has AT LEAST 28 points. Because the rules do not provide a default
> score for any game object, the number of points that Dominov had upon
> joining the game is undefined. As such, and regardless of game custom, it is
> just as valid to assume that Dominov started with 72 points as it is to
> assume that e started with 0 points. Rule 17 states that score cannot be
> negative, and we can state with confidence that Dominov now has 28 points
> more than e started with. The number of points e currently holds cannot be
> precisely defined, but it lies somewhere between 28 and positive infinity.
> This interval includes 100. Also note that Dominov became a Player shortly
> AFTER the Public Display of points was ratified by Wooble's Refresh
> Proposal, during nweek 135.
> }
>
> This is Consultation 86.  I assign it to Priest Wooble.

I answer NO.

Dominov started the game without any points.  Points in his possession
can only be created or destroyed as specified by the rules, and the
rules didn't create any points for him when he joined the game.
--
Geoffrey Spear
http://www.geoffreyspear.com/