Daniel Lepage on Mon, 9 May 2005 11:54:04 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-b] CFI: HowToRollDice/1

On May 8, 2005, at 11.31 PM, Raelus wrote:

**The version as of 2005-05-08 20:22:29 of HowToRollDice was an unfair SORC.
**

I suppose I ought to make an official rebuttal to this. So, Analysis by Plaintiff:

First, I wish to note that this is a blatant attempt by Raelus to score Genechips for a passed CFI, as evidenced by the fact that the version of HowToRollDice which e refers to was created by em shortly before it became illegal to do such a thing. On those grounds alone this is a frivolous CFI and deserves votes either of NO or REFUSED.

Secondly, I argue that the statement is false. I argue this on the grounds that I have every intention of settling random number disputes in the fairest and most equitable way possible, namely by using the official Dice Roller. The one exception to this is in thwarting Raelus's blatant attempt to smear my reputation for personal gain; in this case, I feel that a 10-amplitude penalty is "just desserts", and is perfectly fair under the circumstances. I do not intend to interfere with other matters of chance.

Finally, I claim that regardless of the truth of the statement, it is clearly moot. It refers to an older version of the page that was never officially enacted by Gambly, and as such the question of whether or not it is "fair" is no more relevant to the game than the question of whether my grabbing socks without looking from my drawer would be a fair way to decide issues. In either case, it is something that does not currently exist in the game, and until somebody tries to make it exist it is not necessary to pass judgment on it.

Hence there is a good reason to vote NO, and many good reasons to vote REFUSED, and I hope that the jury will reach the sensible conclusion on this matter.

--
Wonko

"In headlines today, the dreaded killfile virus spread across the country adding 'aol.com' to people's Usenet kill files everywhere. The programmer of the virus still remains anonymous, but has been nominated several times for a Nobel peace prize."
 -- Mark Atkinson