Jeremy Cook on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:54:05 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] Zarpint amends p1983

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 01:17:08PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2005, at 5.46 PM, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > * Firing a jet of water at an given Cube. The specified cube must be
> > orthogonally adjacent to the Avatar. With probability AvPower /
> > (AvPower+ AvSkill), a Jet Hits a randomly chosen Cube orthogonally
> > adjacent to the specified one, and with probability AvSkill / (AvPower
> > + AvSkill), a Jet Hits the specified Cube.
>
> So it's possible that you'll hit both the targeted cube, and your own
> cube? And possibly destroy yourself and the target? Or is this supposed
> to be an either-or thing, either you hit the target or you hit a random
> other square, but not both?

Damn, I didn't realize that that was ambiguous. Those
probabilities are not independent; it's an either-or thing, as in
"a fair coin comes up heads with probability 1/2 and tails with
probability 1/2".

Peter, can you use Executive Tidiness to clear that up? Maybe
change it to "and otherwise a Jet Hits the specified Cube".
(That should be covered under r257.)

> > If a Player's Avatar Fires a Jet that Hits a Cube where there is a
> > different Avatar, and that Avatar Gets Destroyed, then the Player
> > whose Avatar Fired a Jet may increase at most one of eir four
> > attributes AvSpeed, AvPower, AvStrength, and AvSkill by 1.
>
> This seems like a rich-get-richer scheme, since players with higher
> powers and strengths are less likely to be killed and more likely to
> kill than lower players.

I'm not sure if this is an objection or a comment.
It's true that the more players kill, the better they get at
killing, just like a typical FPS.

Zarpint