Jeremy Cook on Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:52:37 -0600 (CST)

[s-b] CFI assignment

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:57:34PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2005, at 11.52 AM, Jeremy Cook wrote:
>
> > Due to the dice roller bug, Wonko loses a point for Quotes.
>
> I'm sorry, what just happened?

So Joel's dice roller had a bug where it didn't loop pver the
number of sides. You're supposed to get 2d5 for being Quoted, but
you only got 1d5 due to the bug. I rerolled it, and the end
result was that you lost a point, strangely enough.

> > Hjallti joins and gets a Welcome point. I arrest em for HTML
> > mail. E doesn't lose a Permanent Wisdom, since e doesn't have
> > any. I get 1 TG.
>
> I CFI:
> {{
> __Illegality when Joining__
>
> Plaintiff: Wonko
> Defendant: Zarpint the Incomplete
>
>   Statement:: Hjallti did not violate the HTML Act of 2004 with eir
> first post to the spoon-business forum.
>
>   Analysis by Plaintiff:: Under r1907, _Laws_, a being is only in
> violation of a Law if e is a player and e fails to comply with an
> Imperative or Restriction. However, at the time of Hjallti's posting, e
> had not yet become a player, since eir message had no effect until it
> had reached the forum.
>
>   Hence Hjallti cannot be arrested for violating the HTML act because e
> was not a player as of when e posted the HTML message in question.
>
> }}

Analysis by Defendant:

Hjallti became a player at the instant e posted. Consider the
following hypothetical post to s-b:

{{
I join the game of B Nomic under the name "Foo Bar". I propose
the following rule:
  {{
  The official text editor of B Nomic is vim.
  }}
}}

The proposal would still be made, because at the instant Foo Bar
made the above post, e became a player and all rules that apply
to players begin applying to em. The same is true in Hjallti's
case.

This CFI is randomly assigned to Peter.

Zarpint