Jeremy Cook on Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:43:25 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] A Statement of the Gamestate

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 07:24:46PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2004, at 2.21 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 02:57:28AM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> >> statement about the gamestate, and Zarpint's Taxly Evasive Scam
> >> overlooks the clause in the societies rule that says societies may
> >> only
> >> take actions that the rules say they can.
> >
> > I object.
> > Permissibility of the Unprohibited is one of the rules. "Societies
> > may only take actions that the rules say they can" is the same as
> > "societies may only take legal actions". It would be different if the
> > rule said "societies may only take actions the rules explicitly allow",
> > but it doesn't.
>
> My interpretation is that since the rules mention which actions
> societies can take, the taking of actions by societies is thus
> regulated by the rules, and so Permissibility doesn't say anything
> about it.
>
> Regardless, modifying the gamestate is regulated by the rules, so
> Permissibility doesn't do anything to allow gamestate changes.

I make the following CFI:

Statement:
The society "Zarpint's Tax Shelter" legally took the actions Wonko
referred to as "Zarpint's Taxly Evasive Scam", including increasing my
score.

Defendant: Wonko

Argument:

r18: Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by the Ruleset is permitted
and unregulated.

Wonko's argument is that the taking of actions by societies is
regulated, so therefore r18 doesn't mean that all taking of actions by
societies is permitted.

This is true. Not all taking of actions by societies is permitted. For
instance, societies may not Admit entities that have not Applied
(578.III).

However, the actions mentioned in the statement are permitted. Those
particular actions are nowhere prohibited in the rules. r578.II says
that Societies may only take legal actions. Those actions are legal
under r18.

Note that the general argument: "Gamestate changes are regulated,
therefore r18 doesn't do anything to allow them" doesn't follow.
The rule says that if X is not regulated, X is permitted. In this case,
the hypothesis does not apply where X is "gamestate changes" in general,
but it does apply for some specific gamestate changes.

Zarpint