SkArcher on 18 May 2003 01:29:01 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] The Clock is Off

17/05/2003 21:18:09, "David E. Smith" <dave@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Thanks to Wonko's CashBox, and eir automation script, Wonko took a
>nearly infinite number of actions last nweek. One of the clever (heh)
>side-effects of this is that Wonko's entropy is also nearly infinite.
>In any event, it's greater than 500, which triggers an Entropy-based
>Apocalypse.

Whoops :P

>Since that occurred at the end of nweek 41, and Burning Man continues
>until the end of the nweek which triggered the Apocalypse (sorry, I
>don't have the exact wording handy), either it comes and goes
>instantly, or takes up a whole nweek.

I register the following CFI

The apocalypse only lasts an instant.

Defendant: None

Rationale:

Rule 154/19 states that; {Players have an attribute called Entropy. Entropy is a Dimension. At the end of each
nweek, each player's Entropy shall increase by an amount equal to the sum of the number of proposals e had on
the ballot for that nweek which passed and 1/2 the number of game actions (movements, purchases, throws, etc.)
taken during that nweek.}

so at the end of the nweek, wonko's entropy (and therefore universal entropy) exceeds maximum entropy - in
theory, because this happens at the end of the nweek, nothing can happen after it that is still in the same
nweek

however; {The period of time between the instant when Universal Entropy exceeds Maximum Entropy, and the end of
the nweek in which that occurred, may also be referred to as "Burning Man".}

now, wonko's entropy is calculated at the end of the nweek, and the effects last until the end of the same nweek
as it occured, but the entropy calculation happens at the end of the nweek.

fortunately, there is a guideline for this kind of occurance; {When multiple rules specify that an event takes
place at a certain time [[ i.e. "at the beginning of an nweek" ]], those events occur in order of rule
precedence.} (rule 1318/0)

and as stated in rule 33/8 {Whenever one section of a rule conflicts with another section of the same rule, the
section which appears later in the rule takes precedence over the earlier section}

therefore the adjustment to wonko's entropy takes place before adjustment to universal entropy, which itself
takes place before the burning man. as such, the burning man only lasts an instant.

>Either way, though, it turns the Clock off for three days. By the
>time the Clock turns back On from that (sometime Monday evening,
>local to me), I should have vote-counting and processing finished up.
>
>The new rules have been added already, but (as usual) I haven't yet
>updated the Roster to reflect all those changes. A few new rules were
>passed, Orc made my head explode again with a prop that changed about
>a zillion rules, all the quote props passed. The "only one Number
>Game guess per nweek" prop did pass, so Wonko can get rid of the
>obnoxious (though clever) automation script.

w00t

>(Aside: I let Wonko get away with it because it was clever. Everyone
>else who tried was just being either a copycat, spoilsport, or just
>plain cranky.)

yep, thats true :P

>(Orc: I have misplaced the email in which you named a prop from the
>past that wasn't fully implemented. Please send me a *private* email
>detailing that, so I won't overlook it in the Nomic folder.)
>

>David Smith
>MVN.net

SkArcher

But really, World Domination is only a hobby of mine
 - Jordan Kennedy, www.exploitationnow.com