Daniel Lepage on 24 Feb 2003 02:59:01 -0000

[Spoon-business] Cracking open a can

Rob says that we need more Grid actions that "have a noticeable effect".

I figured blowing up large chunks of terrain would be pretty noticeable.

So, it's time to crack open some cans of Whoopass!

{{
__Whoopass__

[[
It is said that the best place to begin a story is, in fact, at the beginning.

So we'll go back to the beginning. It looks something like this:

The nothingness would have swirled around quite spectacularly, had there been anything to swirl through or anyone to see. But of course there wasn't - that was the whole point of nothingness. And so the nothingness just sat there, inasmuch as it was able to given that there was nothing else to sit it but itself. But within this vast sea of nothing (or rather this not-so vast sea of nothing, as there was nothing outside of it to give it any sort of bounds at all, nor nothing inside of it to give it any substance, nor anything... well, you get the point. There was nothing there.) Anyway, within this nothing there wasn't a point. Not particularly a point of anything, just a point that wasn't in the middle of nothing.
The Beginning.
And suddenly, the Nomiverse began. All the matter that would one day make up the Grid, the Players, the Players, the Rules, the Proposals, all of it sprang from this lack of a point in a cacaphonous explosion, billowing outward into the nothingness like a parachute unfolding behind a drag racer going 200 mph, or at least behind an SUV breaking the speed limit.

Actually, it didn't happen at all like that - there was a slight *poof*, and it all just sort of appeared - but it would have been a lot cooler that way.

Anyway, the point is that the beginning is not a particularly good place to begin - it's rather boring, and not a lot happens for a rather long time.

We shall begin, then, at a much later point, after the Grid, after Football, after even the Statue and Armies came into being. Specifically, we will begin partway through nweek 34, in a small weapons testing facility underneath the grid.

It is a relatively new weapons testing facility, the older one having been destroyed some six ndays earlier by one of its more recent concotions, so the floors were still clean, the coffee machine still worked, and the two-foot thick steel walls around the main detonation chamber were still at least six inches thick in most places.

With the smooth swish of new machinery, the elevator's doors opened, and Wonko came through. E glanced around at the gaggle of scientists around em with a look verging on distaste.

"Well?"
One of the scientists stepped forward. E was wearing a somewhat singed lab coat, and something that looked suspiciously like a handle-less pot over eir blackened hair, with a barely legible name tag that read "Anal".
"Well, sir, we think we've discovered something useful..."
Wonko stared at the potlike hat. "Anal?"
The scientist turned slightly red.
"It's a, uh, typo, sir. My name is Alan, sir."
"I see. What have you got to show me, then, Alan?"

Alan gestured towards the door on the far side of the chamber. "This way, sir."

They walked over to the enormous steel door that separated the entrance hall from the main detonation chamber. Alan pushed a few buttons, and put eir face up to the hole that suddenly opened in the wall.
Wonko leaned forward to look at the hole. "What's that?"
"Retinal scan," replied the scientist as the door started to twist open, "We don't want anyone unauthorized to get in here."

They stepped forward through the widening doorway. Wonko stopped. And stared.

The room was easily five squares in every direction, and every inch of it was covered with scientists, engineers, and equipment. Like an anthill, the room was filled with causeways, catwalks, and rails, with people in white coats, black jumpsuits, even the occasional blue hat of the programming division, bustling back and forth throughout the room.

But the most impressive thing was in the very center of the room, three squares high, at least a square across.

It was an ancient Monolith. The runes carved in the sides shifted and swirled as they pulsed blue with stored entropy. Wires and pipes surrounded it, winding up and down, sometimes seeming to go through the Monolith itself. Along one batch of wires which projected from the top down to a funny machine in the corner flowed a thin stream of the crackling blue glow. The machine was shaking slightly.

It seemed to be vending out cans of beer.

"Excellent, I've been looking for a good drink." Wonko grabbed one of the cans and reached for the pop-tab. The room fell silent. The nearby engineers dove for cover.

Wonko paused, eir fingers on the tab.

"You might not want to do that, sir," said Alan, in a shaky voice.

"Why not?" asked Wonko levelly.

"Um, that's a, uh, there's, uh, you're holding enough energy to, uh, to obliterate the room."

"Really." Wonko slowly lowered the can, and put it back on the pile. The room relaxed. "What, exactly, was I just holding?"

"We're calling them Cans of Whoopass, sir. They're beer cans, sir. Full of Entropy."

"And how exactly is this useful to me?"

Alan pulled out a small video chip and handed it to em. Wonko raised an eyebrow, and plugged the chip into eir PDA. E watched it for a moment.

"Where did this happen?"

"That was our old research lab, sir."

"'Was'?"

"Was, sir."

"I see. So tell me, how exactly do these work?"

Alan handed em a folder. Wonko opened it and looked at the diagram. E read the report below it:
]]
A. Whoopass

There exist Throwable, Carryable MOs called Cans of Whoopass. When Can of Whoopass lands on a square without being caught, it is Cracked Open upon that square. This causes the can to be destroyed, the square to become Fire, all objects on the square which are not required by the rules to exist to be destroyed, and all other objects on the square to be thrown Elbonia-Style at that square.
[[
"That's all?"

"Well... uh... yes... but... uh..."

"I'm just joking, this will be more than adequate for my purposes. If the production costs aren't too high, that is..."

"Production is on the next sheet."

Wonko flipped the page.
"There is no next sheet."

Alan blinked. "Oh, right." E opened a small filing cabinet in the corner and pulled out another sheet.
]]
B. Harvesters

Entropy Harvesters are an Improvement. Harvesters cost 300 BNS, and may only be built on squares containing Ancient Monoliths. Every nweek, if the monolith a Harvester is built on contains 6 or more points of Entropy, the monolith's stored entropy decreases by 5 and a Can of Whoopass is created in the Harvester's possession. The owner of a Harvester may cause a Can of Whoopass possessed by said Harvester to be moved to any location adjacent to the Harvester by declaring so in a Public Forum [[ So you can pick up the cans from anywhere around it, or deposit them to let other people pick them up ]].

When an Ancient Monolith is destroyed, the Harvester on it is destroyed, if one exists. When a Harvester is destroyed, all Cans of Whoopass in it are Cracked Open.
[[
Wonko closed the folder.
"Yes, I can see how this could be useful...." e mused. "Good job. Keep up the good work."

"Thank you, sir."

Wonko looked at the Harvester in the center of the cavern one last time, then turned around and headed for the elevator, to return to the Grid Proper.
]]
}}

--
Wonko